Enjoy Internet connection by connecting a notebook PC or tablet with an au smartphone.
In addition to an Internet connection on your smartphone, with subscription to the Tethering Option you can connect your notebook PC, tablet, game consoles and other devices to the Internet by using the tethering function on a 4G LTE smartphone.
Tethering can be used more smoothly thanks to high-speed communications, especially in the 4G LTE area.
What is tethering?
Tethering is a function that enables you to connect various devices such as a notebook PC, tablet or game console to the Internet outside the home by using a smartphone as an access point.
au packet communications are used to connect to the Internet, which enables you to use tethering in both 3G and 4G areas.
There are three types of tethering (connection methods between a smartphone and device) to choose from: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth® and USB. Choose the method that suits your use.
- *The type of tethering that can be supported differs depending on the smartphone model.
- *ʺBluetoothʺ is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc. USA.
|Eligible data (packet) flat-rate services
or rate plans
|「Flat-rate Data 2/3/5/8/10/13」
「Flat-rate Data 2(V)/3(V)/5(V)/8(V)/10(V)/13(V)」
「Flat-rate Data 2(VK)/3(VK)/5(VK)/8(VK)/10(VK)/13(VK)」
「Unlimited Calling Plan (VK)」
「M Plan (VK)」
「S Plan (VK)」
「Junior Smartphone Plan」
|「Flat-rate Data 20/30」
「Flat-rate Data 20(V)/30(V)」
Free campaign until April 2017!
|Data (packet) flat rate services and rate plans other than the above||¥500/
-  Receive an additional monthly data amount of 500MB.
-  As a Tethering Option benefit, ¥0 for up to 2 years!
Condition: If you subscribe to the Tethering Option when you purchase an iPad, iPhone (excluding iPhone 4S), 4G LTE smartphone, 4G LTE Feature phone, or 4G LTE tablet by making a new contract or changing models. Customers who already have the special benefit applied can continue enjoying it during the current special benefit period.
- * When the free period ends, normal charges are automatically applied.
- * By subscribing to the Tethering Option, 500MB is added to the communications amount that can be used without communications speed constraints. However, the additional data quantity of 500MB is not added during the free period of the option charge.
- * There is no deadline for this campaign. KDDI will give customers advance notice in the event of any changes.
-  Free of charge until April 2017 through the campaign. When the free period ends, normal charges are automatically applied.
4G LTE Smartphones, 4G LTE Feature phone, 4G LTE Tablets, iPhone (excluding iPhone 4S), iPad
- * If you receive an incoming call while using tethering, calling is prioritized so you will not miss any important business. Data communications will automatically resume once the call is completed. (Due to app or server conditions, you may need to load or download data again.)
- * The monthly usage charge of the Tethering Option is not calculated on a prorated basis.
- * Additional packet communication charges are incurred at the time of use. The packet communication charges when using tethering are eligible for your contracted data flat rate service or rate plan.
- * If tethering has not been activated even after applying for the Tethering Option, turn the power OFF and back ON again. If tethering is still unavailable even after turning the power OFF and ON, turn the Internet sharing setting OFF and ON.
- * If you apply for the "Tethering Option" between 9:00 and 20:00 by using au Customer Support (Web), tethering is available approx. five minutes after you apply.
If you apply after 20:00, tethering is available from 9:00 the next morning.
- * When changing from a rate plan eligible for free service (or data communication flat rate service) to a rate plan not eligible for free service by changing models or other method, the monthly usage fees for the month you change models are free. (The same applies when changing from a rate plan eligible for free service to another rate plan eligible for free service) The 500MB increase from the rate plan not eligible for free service is also applied.
- * There is no amount increase during the 2-year free special benefit period.
* If the total amount of communications of the month (plus the additional 500MB when subscribed to the Tethering Option, except during the free period of the option charge) exceeds the data quantity for that month, the maximum communications speed for sending and receiving until the end of that month will be 128 kbps. (The communications speed constraint will be removed on the first day of the following month.) If you apply for the Extra Option, the communications speed constraint does not apply. Data quantities purchased with Data Charge can be used without any communications speed constraint.Data Charge
- * Tethering cannot be used during overseas CDMA roaming. To activate tethering during overseas roaming, set GSM roaming, and then turn the power OFF and back ON.
- * The flat rate is applicable to tethering communications with the "Overseas Double-Teigaku" eligible carriers during overseas roaming.
*All of the indicated amounts exclude tax unless otherwise specified.